The system functions with 3 main assumptions and is implemented by 4 methods to help motivate an individual.
Three Main Assumptions:
1. Collaboration: Determining set goals with the individual
2. Evocation: Finding the motivation and resources needed to achieve those goals
3. Autonomy: Encouraging the individual to make the conscious choice for change
1. Express Empathy: Understand why change can be difficult to accept.
2. Develop Discrepancy: Help the individual understand and realize the error of thinking that change is the enemy and help them to re-evaluate their reasoning to encompass the need for change
3. Rolling with Resistance: Using the individuals own argument and re-word or organize it to promote change
4. Support Self-Efficacy: Convincing the individual that they are capable of change
How can Counselling and Psychotherapy help your career?
There are various areas that Counselling can benefit when it comes to one’s career. For instance, it can help identify potential career options that were once evasive. It can also help to identify issues that might be hindering your ability to advance in your current career or even what might be keeping you from pursuing your dream job. Evaluation can help determine if you are, in fact, in the right career or if you should explore options in another field. It can also reveal things about yourself that you might have been unaware of such as, your listening skills are lacking, you are not a good team player, you do not take direction well, to name a few. Some of these things you may or may not have been aware of.
Once you have identified your strengths and weaknesses, Counselling and Psychotherapy can give you the tools to better implement your strengths and to work on your weaknesses. These tools can help you become better in your current position or even open doors to advancement or other jobs that are better suited. Whether determining where you excel or where you are deficient, Counselling and Psychotherapy can help give you the tools to build on and promote personal growth to ensure success.